I have learned the hard way that you always have to have certain items on hand backstage.
What is in my costume designer backstage kit:
- Baby food jar with safety pins.
- Band aids.
- Triple antibiotic ointment. (Neosporin.)
- Hand sanitizer.
- Baby wipes.
- Bobby pins.
- Hand sewing needles.
- Thread in white and black.
- Mechanical pencil.
- Retractable sewing tape measure.
- Pony tail bands.
- Small scissors.
- Extra buttons and stick-on hook and tape closures. (Velcro).
- Duct tape.
- Small LED flashlight.
Organizational skills ftw:
- Binder with:
- Sheets for male and female measurements for the actors. Always write in centimeters because they will look and they will give you all kinds of comments.
- Lined paper for notes.
- Blank paper for sketches.
- Plastic sheet protectors for everything.
- Fabric samples.
- Costume research.
- Budget worksheet, receipts, records.