Every Thanksgiving… my almost mother-in-law makes the most scrumptious tray of heaven-on-earth. I think this is perfect for… well… anytime.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (about 5 lbs.)
- 3 Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Wash sweet potatoes, and place on a baking sheet; prick with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until almost tender. Remove from oven. Let stand 45 minutes or until cooled.
- Meanwhile, peel and core apples. Slice apples into 1/3″ thick wedges; toss with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Peel cooled potatoes, and slice 1/3″ thick. Arrange potatoes and apples alternately in a greased 13″x9″ baking dish. Pour remaining lemon juice over potatoes and apples.
- Combine brown sugar and next 6 ingredients in a saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; boil 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour glaze over potatoes and apples. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; baste with glaze in bottom of dish, and sprinkle nuts across top. Bake 14-15 more minutes or until apples look roasted. Baste with glaze just before serving.